How your children’s doctors in Gaithersburg, Maryland can help if your child has strep throat
Strep throat is a common problem, especially with children. Signs and symptoms of strep throat can make your child miserable. The good news is, strep throat is easily treatable. Your pediatrician can help your child feel better.
The children’s doctors at Prime Pediatrics in Gaithersburg, Maryland offer a wide range of medical services for children, including treatment for strep throat.
Strep throat is caused by an infection of Streptococcal bacteria. When your child has strep throat you may notice some of these common signs and symptoms:
- Sudden, severe throat soreness
- Pain and difficulty swallowing
- A high fever of over 101 degrees
- Swollen lymph nodes and swollen tonsils
- Yellow or white patches on the back of your child’s throat
If you think your child might have strep throat, contact your children’s doctor immediately. Your pediatrician can perform a rapid strep test which can tell within a few minutes if your child has strep throat.
Strep throat needs to be treated with antibiotics because it won’t go away on its own. Your children’s doctor will prescribe a course of antibiotics to eliminate the bacterial infection, and your child needs to take all of the medication to fully eliminate the bacteria.
Strep throat is also highly contagious so be sure and not share utensils or other items your child has touched.
There are a few other tips to keep in mind. Remember to:
- Limit your child’s contact with other people
- Wash your hands frequently
- Wipe down frequently touched areas like doorknobs, handles, and water faucets with disinfectant
- Launder bed linens and towels frequently
- Throw away your child’s toothbrush after the strep infection has been eliminated
Your child doesn’t have to suffer because of strep throat. Your pediatrician can help your child feel better fast! To find out more about strep throat signs, symptoms, and treatment, call the children’s doctors of Prime Pediatrics in Gaithersburg, Maryland at (301) 977-2440. Call now!